Sunday, March 04, 2007

Singapore, Day 0

Ok, so even though I claimed this blog was going to be "retired," this sequence of posts really don't belong in either the Korea blog nor the food blog (the relevant food things will be posted on the food blog, of course).

The ice hockey team I'm playing with here put together a team to compete in a tournament in Singapore this past weekend. The trip was for a Wednesday night departure and a Sunday return, which worked out perfectly with my teaching schedule. So, Wednesday right after class, I ran back to the apartment, grabbed my hockey bag and a backpack with my clothes, and then hopped in a cab to Gangnam Express Bus Terminal (non-stop buses to the airport from there). It was actually a pretty nice terminal (sure beats Port Authority in NYC back when I was in college):

So from there, it was a 45 minute ride to Incheon Int'l Airport.

This is just to give you an idea of the amount of luggage that's involved when you have about ten people traveling together with ice hockey equipment. Note that the carts of bags goes all the way back to the guy in the red shirt in the background (part of our group).

Immigration card for Singapore. First sign of Singapore's reputation to be incredibly strict on crime. I'm not really a supporter of capital punishment, but I'm sure this definitely helps keep their drug problems under control.

Our flight was delayed by a little over an hour (which ended up helping since we were a little late to the airport), and so we didn't leave until about 8:30pm or so. With a 6-hour flight (minus a one-hour time zone difference), it was plenty late when we got in. However, I was hungry (when am I not?) so I wandered off nearby the hotel.

It was raining out, but very warm and humid (Singapore is pretty far south). The rain was just a light drizzle, so it was pretty nice walking around. It was somewhat reminiscent of taking a stroll in the rain during a summer evening in NYC. Anyway, I found some grub (refer to the food page), and then went to bed by about 3 or 4am I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I was trying to figure out why you made a food blog instead of just one for random non-professional stuff... :-)

Sue