Monday, March 05, 2007

Singapore, Day 2

On Day 2, our first game was early at 8:30am. So after that, I went back to the hotel, showered up, and then went walking around. Here are some nice, sunny, day time pictures of Singapore.

Clarke Quay again.

From a bridge over the river, also in Clarke Quay.

From a pedestrian overpass on my way from Clarke Quay to Chinatown.

Street entering into Chinatown. There are flowers and other red decorations for the Chinese New Year.

Entering into Chinatown. The architecture is starting to get a little more "Chinese" or otherwise Asian-looking.

More New Year decorations.

So traditionally, they have lion and/or dragon dances to celebrate the New Year. Since this is the year of the pig, I guess someone modified a lion suit into a pig suit.

Street in Chinatown with lots of shopping stalls. Most of them were just selling random tourist junk though.

Another cool view of a Chinatown street. It was particularly nice with all of the New Year decorations still up. There were more restaurants on this street.

Big pagoda (Sri Mariamman Temple). This is on top of the entrance to Singapore's oldest and most important Hindu temple (at least according to wikipedia truthiness). Very cool though; huge amount of detail, all intricately carved. So after wandering around Chinatown for a while, I had to head back to the rink for our second game of the day.

They had me playing defense for the tournament, although I'm more comfortable playing as a forward. That's me doing a bad job covering the attacker in front of the goalie. So after that game, I went back to the hotel, took another shower (it's really hot in Singapore, even when you're not playing hockey), but I didn't really have all that much time to wander around, so I went back to the rink and wandered around the food stalls again (and had two dinners). After that, we had our *third* game of the day at 10:15pm. It was about 12:30 by the time that the game ended, I got changed out of my equipment, I grabbed dinner number three, taxi'd back, and took a shower. We met up at the hotel bar, had a couple of drinks, and then proceeded off to some other bar ("China One") in Clarke Quay.

...where we then proceeded to party until about sometime between 3 and 4am. The drinks there were fairly expensive. A gin and tonic cost $14 (singapore dollars), which is a little over $9USD. That's almost NYC prices! We then got some food at a little past 4am, and it was definitely past 5am by the time I hit the sack. Luckily the first game the next day wasn't an early one. I don't think I managed to get much more than four or five hours of sleep per night during the whole trip (there were other guys on the team who fared even worse).

No comments: